Chillable Red Wines For Summer
As the dog days of summer approach, what is a red wine lover to do? Popular red wines like Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot and Zinfandel can feel too heavy to be refreshing during the summer, but there are plenty of alternatives for red wine lovers.
- Choose lower alcohol content wines because alcohol is perceived as weigh on your palate, and lower alcohol wines will be lighter and more refreshing.
- Avoid heavily oaked wines because they tend to have a heavier mouthfeel.
- Look for wines made with grape varieties with low to medium tannins such as Pinot Noir, Grenache, or Cinsault.
- When it’s hot outside, refrigerate or throw you favorite bottle of red wine in a bucket of ice for 15-20 minutes to get it to cellar temperature in order to maximize your enjoyment of the wine.
Here are five Lodi wines that fit the bill perfectly:
- Fields Family Wines; 2017 Cinsault, Bechthold Vineyard – Fruit for this wine is from what is believed to be the oldest Cinsault vineyard in the world. It’s a light-bodied elegant, and perfumed wine with a refreshing raspberry, cranberry character.
- Markus Wines Co. 2016; Domo – A blend of mostly Carignane that is between light and medium bodied with a glorious red fruit flavors of cherries, raspberries, and plum. Two Lodi retail places for locals to find this Domo: Fiori’s Butcher Shoppe and Lodi Wine & Visitor Center.
- Oak Ridge Winery 2016 Old Soul Pinot Noir – A charming crowd pleaser with a cherry, raspberry and subtle spice character.
- St. Amant Winery; 2016 Trousseau – Crafted from a relatively obscure variety native to the Jura region of France, this alluring wine is light-bodied with a distinctive cherry and spice character.
- Prie Winery; 2017 Dornfelder – Crafted from German grape variety, this distinctive, and juicy wine has blackberry, black cherry, red currant, spice and mocha character.
With over 100 grape varieties grown, and 80+ wineries in the Lodi wine region, you’re bound to find an enlivening and refreshing red wine perfect for your summer!
Be the first to know
Sign up to receive the latest news and events in Lodi!